Volunteer Information & Sign Up
Everything You Need To Know About Volunteering:
Our goal is for every volunteer to have a fruitful experience with us! Please read the information below before signing up to volunteer.
How it works:
1) The coordinators send an email out to the volunteer list with the date, time, and general area of the pick.
2) Our volunteer system is flexible! Reply to the email if you would like to help. Please tell us if you:
- Have a ladder to bring (not required, but it’s helpful)
- Are bringing a friend, your significant other, or your children. For safety reasons there is only room for so many people at one pick.
- If you need a ride – we do our best to arrange carpools between volunteers.
3) If you are chosen to volunteer, the coordinators will send you the exact address and details.
- Those who reply first to emails are chosen to volunteer at the picks.
- However, our coordinators will be watching to see if there are people who have not had an opportunity to volunteer yet.
- We realize this isn’t the best way to do things yet, but please be patient as we sort it out 🙂
4) At the pick:
- You are responsible for bringing your own bag/box/container for bringing home fruit in. Please don’t forget sunscreen, water, snacks, and an epi-pen if you need one.
- Do your best to honour your commitment to attend the pick you’ve chosen, respect the tree owner’s’ property (don’t climb trees if they are old), respect your fellow volunteers, practice good ladder safety, ask for help if you need it, and have fun!
Every new volunteer is required to sign a waiver only once (“Indemnity and Release of Liability” form). This is for insurance purposes. We also have a photo release waiver and is optional. We love to take pictures at our picks so that we can share the fun on social media! Waivers available to sign at each pick.
When we pick:
We typically pick a couple times a week on different days/times. We do some picking on weekends, but the majority is done during the week. Picks usually take 1 to 2 hours.
We love carpooling and being kind to the environment! Please let us know if you require a ride and include your contact info (phone number) and general area you can meet. We will always do our best to arrange one for you. We will provide you with the contact info of a volunteer who can offer a ride and then it is up to you to make meeting time/location arrangements.
Washrooms are typically not available at the pick location.
We will continue to pick as planned if it’s drizzling – please bring weather appropriate clothing. We will not pick if it is pouring rain or lightning. If the weather is poor, watch for an email from us. We’ll do our best to give one hour notice if we cancel.
We love our tree owners for growing and sharing delicious fruit with us and strive to build good relationships with them. When you are sent an address for a pick, please do not give it out to anyone else.
We do not set limits on the amount of fruit that goes to each organization or to volunteers (again, we want to be flexible!). Last season, about 75% of the fruit we pick was donated to organizations (ex. Central Okanagan Community Food Bank, Penticton Salvation Army, women’s shelters, Boys and Girls Club).
We ask that volunteers keep in mind that one of our main goals is to help address hunger in our community. If you find yourself in a position of needing more fruit, please speak with us so we can make sure that happens.
Please show the Harvest Leader how many pounds of fruit you are taking home so we can keep statistics (stats help us get grants!).
The coordinators will always do their best to communicate clearly and give as much notice about upcoming harvests as possible. In return, we ask that volunteers read the emails to stay informed on updates/important reminders. Addresses for picks may not be sent immediately, so please be patient.
There is no doubt that our project is growing – we’ve already had an overwhelming (but amazing) response from tree owners and volunteers this season. However, there will sometimes be “growing pains” that we’ll need to work out and we ask that volunteers remain flexible as we try out different ways of doing things. In return, we strive to be flexible on our end in order to be able to meet the needs of all volunteers. Please let us know how we can help accommodate your needs.
Sounds good? Contact us to sign up as a volunteer.