The Okanagan Fruit Tree Project (OFTP) is a Registered Charity that operates in the Central and South Okanagan. Our mission is to “cultivate community through local food.” We use a multifaceted approach to increase equitable food access and foster healthy and resilient local food systems in the Central and South Okanagan. Currently, we operate four programs: produce rescue, community farming, collaborative harvest, and food systems education. These programs support our mandate:
- Equitable and dignified access to fresh, local produce,
- Knowledge exchange about our local food system,
- Support for local agricultural and food producers,
- Sustainable food systems through food waste reduction and regenerative agriculture approaches, and
- Community capacity and social connection through programs that are inclusive, family-friendly, and health-promoting.
The OFTP is entering an exciting phase of its growth and development. Nine years after its founding in 2014 and two years after a gifted acquisition of a 36 acre farm, we are putting additional focus on updating our board and operational policies and completing a strategic plan for the entire organization (including a farm plan). These actions will allow us to move into the future with an even stronger foundation and a collective vision to guide us there!
Our Board of Directors will be key players in contributing to our success. This is an exciting opportunity to assist with shaping the organization as it moves into this new phase of planning and development. If you have a passion for local food production, food equity, building community and are looking to serve your community in a meaningful way this may be a good fit for you. Board terms are two years. The commitment required of OFTP Board members is about 6 hours/month. As well as the following, we are actively seeking a youth representative and a representative from the South Okanagan:
Skills and Experience
- Fund development/ Sponsorships
- Law / Legal
- Strategic Communications
- Human Resources / Training
- Producer / Entrepreneur
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Food Justice
- Commitment to advancing the OFTP mission, vision and strategic plan
- Collaborative personality
- Familiarity with non-profit/charity governance or able to quickly learn
- An understanding of our regional food system and community food security, or the willingness to learn
- Attendance and informed participation at four board meetings per year (with an additional two planned for the fall/winter of 23/24).
- Active participation
- Optional off-site meetings and OFTP Board representation where appropriate
- Participation in fundraising/membership promotion/sponsor acquisition
- Attendance at the society’s Annual General Meeting and any Special General Meetings
Interested candidates please submit an application via email to Katie, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the heading “OFTP 2023 Board Candidate Nomination” in the subject line no later than August 18, 2023. Please include a:
- Statement outlining pertinent expertise and interest in joining the OFTP Board of Directors
Further information about the Okanagan Fruit Tree Project can be found at fruittreeproject.com.
We thank you in advance for your interest in serving on the Okanagan Fruit Tree Project Board of Directors and look forward to an opportunity to get to know you better.